Newsletter Topics | The Power That Made the Body |
Protocols | Recipes | Suggested Reading
Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue...Where do I start?
Koryo Hand Therapy
Twelve Steps to Brain Health
Why I Choose Nature's Sunshine
Basic Protocol for Chronic Pain
Seven Steps to Liver Health
Mega-Chel oral chelation program
Gall Bladder Flush
Protocol for blood sugar regulation; Sweet Death
Protocol for cellular abnormalities
Twelve Steps to Brain Health
By Patricia Adams, N.H.C.
Protecting and rebuilding the most complicated organ in the universe;
which has 100 billion nerve cells and more connections than stars in the heavens, where information travels at 268 miles per hour, which is responsible for how you think, feel, act, and get along with others. The brain can change, and right interventions help.
When your brain works right, you work right.
1-Protect your head
Avoid head injury by always wearing a helmet for skateboarding, snowboarding, bicycling, etc. Play golf instead of football, and avoid soccer "headers". Realize that boxing is abuse. The brain is the consistency of soft tofu, or pudding, surrounded by a really hard shell with ridges. Brain injuries matter.
- Drugs, even prescribed drugs, are neurotoxic, causing brain cell death
- Alcohol, which is NOT a health food to the brain, should be limited to 1-2 drinks per week.
(Wine enthusiasts will have to exchange Thai Go for the resveratrol benefit without the alcohol)
- Chemicals are disaster for the brain, causing cell death:
- Don't paint the car in the garage; inhaled fumes directly affect the brain
- Avoid chemical solvents or wear protective gear; from the skin, to the blood, to the brain
- Avoid chemical exposure in salons; limit how often hair and nails are done
- Artificial sugars are possibly the worst, but artificial color and flavor aren't far behind
- High fructose corn syrup, cottonseed oil and hydrogenated fats all destroy the brain
- Synthetic perfumes and dyes destroy brain cells; friends don't let friends use air fresheners!
- Use natural and ecology friendly cleansers, sanitizers, and laundry soaps
- Make your own perfumes and air fresheners with Nature's Sunshine aromatherapy.
Smoking interferes with blood flow, and blood flow is the fountain of youth, not to mention the toxic chemicals in cigarettes causing premature aging of all body tissues.
Caffeine is a powerful constrictor of blood flow; it dehydrates and the brain is largely water. Caffeine blocks a chemical that allows sleep. Exchange coffee for decaf green tea (water process of course.)
5-Get enough sleep
Before the invention of the light bulb, we went to bed with the sun and got up with the sun. Caffeine is no substitute for a good nights rest. Sleep deprivation causes premature aging and slow learning.
Negative thinking causes physical changes and damages the brain, Gratitude works just the opposite; writing down five things you're thankful for each day causes the Cerebellum to work better, and speeds up all connections so you think faster and smarter.
7-Avoid Stress, Pray
Stress damages cells in the memory center while meditation and prayer fires up the front part of the brain, the thoughtful part. 5 minutes of anger or stress increases damaging cortisols for 6 hours, while 5 minutes of prayer reduces cortisols, raises anti-aging DHEA, and boosts the immune system for 6 hours. (Null, Food, Mood & Body, 119)
8-Eat right to think right
Eat less and live longer. Avoid heavy meals and overeating which triggers excess insulin that destroys delicate brain tissue. Eat lean protein, complex carbs (avoid all the white stuff) and avoid bad fat but not all fat. Your brain is primarily fat (cholesterol to be exact) and needs a constant supply of good fats to be satisfied. If you don't eat enough fat, you will crave sugar (the brains second favorite source of fuel is glucose), which will cause over consumption and the insulin cycle, which destroys brain cells. The brain remakes itself every couple months based on the energy and information it gets from food, so choose your foods well! Use organic, high quality foods only.
Some great brain foods:
Avocado, Blueberries, Broccoli (which is an amazing 47% protein), Green Tea,
Oatmeal, Red Peppers, Turkey, Spinach, Walnuts and Wild Salmon.
Most folks don't even come close to the old recommendation of 5 organic fruits and vegetables per day, let alone the new recommendation of 9-13 fruits and vegetables per day. The AMA has stated that all Americans would benefit from a multi vitamin each day. Of course it needs to be high quality.
Here are some great brain supplements:
- Thai Go Antioxidant beverage is immune boosting and anti aging = 2-4 oz per day
- Super Supplemental is a whole food base multi vitamin and mineral supplement = 2-4/day
- Super Omega 3 is a highly tested fish oil, recommended = 2-4 grams/day
(Vegetarians, it takes 10x the amount of flax oil to equal the brain health of fish oil)
- DHA is a component of Omega 3, which has particular benefit to the brain
- CoQ10 (75) is a powerful antioxidant that has been shown to protect against Parkinson's disease
- Gingko/Gotu Kola with Bacopa enhances circulation and rebuilds synapses for brain response
- Brain Protex with Huperzine slows down the cholinesterase enzyme, which robs memory
- Lecithin is a great source of brain healthy phosphatidyl serine; lack of it is linked to MS
- Acetyl L Carnitine is an amino acid that helps the body to burn fat, the brain's favorite fuel
- Alpha Lipoic Acid regenerates both fat-soluble and water soluble antioxidants to protect cells
This is the old 'use it or lose it' theory. It's not enough for an old chef to try a new recipe; you have to delve into new territories of learning. Crossword puzzles are great brain exercise, but try new word games.
Too much TV directly increases the risk of Alzheimer's disease and ADD. Interact socially in church, clubs, classes, etc. to maximize and stimulate the brain.
Exercise stimulates the blood flow, the fountain of youth to the brain. Dancing is a perfect exercise, unless done while using alcohol, then you've messed up the benefit. Get a big rubber ball and bounce while you watch the news!